I finally got a new digital camera, so i’ll finally give my first update on my house project (a huge project that we will live in when done.) It’s a 1908 Craftsman style bungalow in downtown San Jose. We picked this one because nobody updated it, so it’s great to keep old style (although they abused it badly.)
So, we bought this house in June. The first step was removing over 80 dumpster yards of junk that was left at the house (probate sale buy.) There was shit all over the place– inside, outside, underneath in the basement and overhead in the attic…
As you can see, there were broken windows throughout the house. Here’s windows going into the enclosed patio when i started. Also notice the fine graffiti spray painting in the interior:
The plaster walls inside were thrashed. Many holes, many failed patches. Much writing on the walls. The carpet was nasty. Here’s the carpet coming out:
Here I am taking out all the broken windows in the enclosed front porch, so that they can be restored:
Here’s update pics as of today:
#1) Im restoring the windows in batches. The first batch done were all the broken windows and doors– mostly in the enclosed porch. I got them back in (except for trim work, etc) and also did some test painting to get a feel on colors. Here’s some pics of the porch so far:
For a color scheme, im thinking lighter green, with white trim and dark green windows. Here’s a pic of the rebuilt enclosed patio door. I found the mortise lockset w/ working skeleton key at the Moss Landing antique fair a couple weeks ago :
My new roof is on. I hired Will Piazza, a great guy who was a roofer for years to do it– and he did a fine job. I helped out a bit, but i gotta admit that i wasn’t too cat agile up on that roof– which is steeper than it looks:
You can see that i’ve got my second batch of windows out for restoration (thus why they are boarded up.) The horrible, long “honeymoon” staircase is coming out next– being replaced with simpler, craftsman era looking stairs. The attic vent louvers are being replaced by a window in the upper dormer. The new front door is being ordered this week. The redwood gutters are currently being built, the old ones were rotted and are off the house.
Also complete is the repair work on the interior plaster walls. Notice that i also pulled all the carpet out, revealing the original hardwood floors underneath. All the trim work in the house is also removed and Anissa is beginning to strip / restore. They were painted and we’re using our cool, new infrared stripper to remove. They (and all the great built-ins throughout the house) will be wood finished in a darker tone. The hardwood floors are going to be refinished with a lighter tone than the trim work and built ins. Here’s the front parlor room:
Several steps forward, and one step back….. I accidentally stepped through my recently restored plaster ceiling, proving that i’m still an idiot:
Lastly, im posting this picture of the side gates so that i can show my woodworker how things look now (he’ll be building me new gates and fencing– which will be wood finished to match the new front door.)
Next steps over next month:
- finish install of new 200A panel and get new feeder in from PG&E (right now i only have construction power)
- primer all interior walls, get the ceiling i fell through fixed and paint base white (we’ll decide interior colors later.)
- install new interior doors (5 panel, craftsman style.) Measured them up today, and ordering this week
- refinish hardwood floors (in all rooms except kitchen and bathrooms.)
- begin installing baseboards throughout, along with new electrical receptacles that will be installed in them (along with old style push button light switches.)
- then rest of interior trim can begin to go on.
- stare at current exterior test colors for another week or so. Exterior paint throughout begins August 27th
- Demo old front stairs / rear porch and construction of new begins within next 2 weeks as well.
- Next batch of windows come back shortly. They will go in. 3rd batch comes out.
- Begin install of PEX plumbing system and tankless water heater (modern conveniences that are hidden.) Begin tilework of rear bathroom.
Oh yeah….. today we found a *great* old clawfoot tub for the main bathroom, an an estate sale. It was sitting behind the garage of the house. $60 bucks— great deal. It was damn heavy…
Progress is on schedule and it’s fun.
Add comment August 16th, 2009