OK, im going to come back and write about how great our trip was to NY. I’m also going to come back and write up about how good i think my friend Steve’s book is. However, I read something this morning and it’s left me confused and bothered….
I’ve got a couple friends who are so content that they’ve found religion, Jesus Christ, whatever. I’m happy for them, i really am. However, when i see people that are closer to me (and similar to me) affected positively by this– it leaves me looking in the mirror thinking about myself and my own feelings about religion. So here it goes:
- I *REALLY* believe that there is a something “higher powered” that created us and is a higher being above us. Being an engineer, “more advanced” is the term that comes to my mind.
It really annoys me when humans become so arrogant that they think they understand everything. In a way, religious folks use god to get comfort in understanding the unknown. Instead of not knowing, God fills in the understanding of the things most fearful in life.
I’ve always felt that darkness is the lack of being enlightened to anything. What’s so bad/evil about that and why should people be afraid of not being enlightened about everything. Without darkness (or lack of knowledge,) there is no light, and needing to understand everything is Greed– and i think that’s evil. Call me the fucking devil…. but im ok with what i dont know for certain and i look forward to *maybe* knowing eventually. Enlightenment is life, as is darkness.
- I think that atheists are lame, and generally think it’s the biggest form of closed minded arrogance. How could you not think something is above you. I betcha ants dont believe in us either– because they likely are not capable of understanding us.
- That’s the thing….. I submit to the fact that just because I cant understand something completely first hand, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. My common sense tells me that it does…. and i respect that greatly. So, does that mean im religious?
Dictionary.com tells me that religion is:
|1.||a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe|
- Perhaps I am religious. However, I suppose that something i see as a difference is that my beliefs are MINE. Individually. I guess i mainly have a problem with organized religion, and specifically the leaders of the organizations thinking and acting as if they are god like. Yes, i’ve lived a life of questioning authority– but this authority gives me the creeps a lot of times…
- Throughout history, religion has been used as a means of establishing influence, power and control over people. It’s the roots of many wars, deaths, and discrimination. When i think of the word ‘religion’ in this way– I hate it. The basic ideas and principles of this form of religion have pretty much come from man, and power was built as a result of that.
- Historically, the Christians have been brutal beasts in their days of expansion….. now i think the growth of the Islamic faith isnt that different. I get so convinced that religious fundamentalism is the root of evil. Watch this as power and population continues to grow in the Muslim faith. Another repeat of Christian soldierism…. just the Muslim version. Yikes.
1) I submit to the fact that there are many things that i dont understand.
2) I absolutely believe there is a more powerful “being(s)” above me… a creator… sure.
3) I do not submit that any religious leader is above me. They are just human.
4) I dont feel guilty when i say that i dont easily accept blind absolutes.
4) I question everything, especially authorities and people who enjoy power & influence over others.
5) I seek to understand and to learn.
So… If God strikes me down with lightning, i suppose i’ll really be enlightened and it was good knowing you
By the way— i totally do not accept the bullshit that many folks can live a life of bad, then accept Jesus and instantly become forgiven and head straight to whatever heaven is. I just heard that bullshit in an older Jeffrey Dahmer interview from jail, where he was at such peace talking about cannibalising his victims. (NOTE: his ass was taken out by a fellow prisoner a few weeks after that interview… i consider that an act of gods will, and justice on his “enlightened” sorry ass.)
And, by the way— to the greedy religious folks who need a heaven that is better then what we have here….What if we’re living in a Twilight Zone episode of sorts, and this is heaven? What if, after death, there is no big party, pearly gates, or reunions with other dead loved ones? Just to be safe, i’d recommend valuing life, being good and appreciating every minute you have breathing.
Can you tell im confused ? Im both troubled and amused by it.
So…. I believe in “God” and i look forward to lthe opportunity to learnmore about that and everything going forward. It’s just not for some church and preacher to tell me about it– so, for now, just grab me a pepsi and i’ll figure it out myself.
1 comment December 17th, 2007