January 24th, 2009
Glad to be back home in San Jose. Raining– but we need it.
Sparred a bit in the gym today with Kyle, one of the UFC fighters (great guy, by the way.) Being out of shape sucks– thus, 5 minute rounds suck (that’s how they roll in MMA.) I got my ass handed to me on the ground, and didn’t do as well as I would have liked striking (my strength.) I think my trainer knew this was going to happen when he put me in there– and it worked….. Now I want to put some training time in and pay him back a bit (or at least give him some better work.)
In the mean time, a good burrito will make me feel better, lol…..
Since i’m on the topic of burritos, here are some of my favorite spots for Mexican here in San Jose:
- Taqueria Tlaquepaque over on Lincoln or Willow in Willow Glen. There’s also one off 87 at Curtner. I dig the camarones (El Diablo or Al Mojo de Aho) or the Steak Tlaquepaque there. Their chavela’s rule (dark Modelo, fresh lime juice, salted rim w/ a frosty mug.)
- Los Garcia’s over on old Oakland Road. Good plates. I like the green, creamy salsa. Also good chavela’s.
- El Grullense in San Jose. Drive thru and quick. Eating patio right on San Carlos. Decent place for carne asada tacos. Camarones Coctail or tostadas are good. Horchata’s good.
- La Taqueria in downtown San Jose. I dig the burrito’s here.
- La Victoria. Have one on San Carlos, Santa Clara and one off Almaden and 85. Famous orange sauce. I usually only go for the burrito’s here… maybe a quesadilla if i’m really gorging myself.
- I think i make some pretty good carne on my bbq as well. As long as i buy my goods at Mi Pueblo.
UPDATE: – Mexico Bakery on the east side (Story Rd.) has got great torta’s and baked goods. Get’s pretty packed and no espanol can sometimes make things tougher, but it’s all worth it…
I’m running over to La Victoria, since it’s closest.
Entry Filed under: Uncategorized