December 30th, 2010
Every year i compose a note to myself listing my yearly goals. For 2010, i succeeded in some and failed in too many. Here are the goals with the results:
1. GET A BOOK DEAL AND WRITE IT.
Result: Well, i landed a book deal, and then had to back out due to my schedule becoming too intense as i adjusted to succeeding in goal #3 below. **PARTIAL SUCCESS, AND THEN FAIL**
2. NEW PATENT AWARD.
Result: Filed a couple related to new technology. Successfully granted one so far, with several still pending. **SUCCESS**
3. PROMOTION AT WORK.
Result: Promoted up into a bigger challenge, with a new boss that i like. **SUCCESS**
4. COMPETE & WIN US OPEN JIU JITSU TOURNAMENT.
Result: Huge fail. I basically stopped training early in the year, as i was buried in the house project and mainly the new challenges at work. **HUGE FAIL**
5. FINISH NEW GARAGE AND MAKE PROGRESS ON HOUSE.
Result: Garage is done. Made decent progress on the house. **SUCCESS**
6. GREATLY REDUCE COST OF LIVING.
Result: Well, costs are lower. However, i’ve been spending a boat load on the house, and we eat out way too much (nope, i haven’t finished my inside kitchen yet. I did, however, make huge progress during this winter break.) **A WASH**
7. BUILD A NEW CAR.
Result: Didnt get the garage done until later in the year. Made decent progress on the model A, but not even close to being considered “built.” **FAIL**
8. GO CAMPING WITH FAMILY AT LEAST 4 TIMES.
Result: Haven’t done anything fun in regards to travel this year. Too much work and house work. **HUGE FAIL**
9. AUSTIN TX, SAN FELIPE, MX and JAPAN TRIPS.
Result: See #8 above. **HUGE FAIL**
10. BEGIN TO LEARN TO PLAY A NEW INSTRUMENT.
Result: Discovered a great cigar box slide guitar at a garage sale, and have strummed around on it a bit. That said, not nearly enough. **PARTIAL SUCCESS**
11. MAKE SIGNIFICANT GAINS IN LARGE SCALE UTILITY COMPUTING CONSTRUCTION / OPERATIONS.
Result: Plan to rewire our whole company approved by our Board of Directors. Executing plan around the globe. **SUCCESS**
12. PUBLISH NEW MATERIAL.
Result: Lots of press, interviews, speaking engagements, magazine articles, big grant award, patents, etc this year. **SUCCESS**
Lessons learned for 2010:
- I worked too damn much, at the expense of my entire personal life. I went through some tough adjustments in having to deal with more “executive” items. Closing out the year, i think i’ve been adjusting well– through working with a coach, etc. Thus, I see (and am hoping for) blue sky ahead for 2011.
- This house project is a fucking killer. I love the fact of living in something built with your own hands. That said…… never again. I’ll stick with cars.
- All work and no play is tough.
- All that said, with the economy and the state of the world……….. things could be way worse. Thus, i’ll shut up.
Over the coming days i’ll be working on 2011 goals. I’m not giving up on the jiu jitsu, fitness, health, family, cars, motorcycles and fun…… no promotion goals in 2011 for me!
Entry Filed under: Uncategorized